It's no secret that mold is a serious health risk for you and your family. It doesn't just grow in basements, attics, or bathrooms. It can fester anywhere, and that includes your garage. So how you can prevent mold from growing in your garage? You can follow these surefire prevention tips:
Spend a Few Extra Bucks Now to Save Later
Budget are tight, but they get tighter in the long run when unwanted problems like mold take root. If you are building your home, it's recommended that your walls and floors be made out of materials that won't fall prey to moisture. If you are working with an existing garage, you can still actively prevent mold by:
- Keep the Air Flowing: A big part of keeping away mold is making sure there is a constant and steady airflow. Figure out the best ventilation system for your garage. Opening the garage door is a good start, but you should invest in a good air dehumidifier.
- Check the Roof: Airflow is important, however, so is preventing moisture from seeping in, in the first place. Be sure to maintain and repair any issues on your garage roof. The roof is the biggest culprit when it comes to water seepage into the garage.
- Let the Sunlight In: A little sunlight is good when it comes to preventing mold. However, remember that opening your garage door doesn't mean that all of your problem are solved. Make sure you are taking other precautionary steps beyond letting some sun inside.
- Make Sure the Garage Door is Sealed: If there are any gaps on the sides or at the bottom of the garage door, expect moisture to sneak in. Rain and melted snow entering through the garage door are a sure way to invite mold growth. Check your seals for gaps often and get them fixed.
- Replace the Drywall: Replace the garage drywall with paperless materials. This would also be a good time to add metal studs and remove the old, mold inviting wood ones.
- Add a Shelf or Two: Sometimes when it rains, it pours. Water cane overtake the garage floor thanks to flooding or high winds. Installing a few shelves and keeping belongings up off the garage floor can prevent mold from growing.
When it comes to your garage, be diligent in preventing a breeding ground for mold. Should you see mold creeping in, do not delay action. Call in the professionals, like American Environmental Specialists LLC, and have it treated right away.